The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF)—the nation’s top-ranked technology and economic policy think tank—seeks an economic policy analyst to work on a wide range of economic policy issues related to technological innovation, productivity, and competitiveness, such as documenting the impact of information and communications technologies and R&D investments on nations’ economic and productivity growth. The analyst will identify, collect, and analyze data; conduct scholarly literature reviews; and draft reports, blog posts, and op-ed articles. A key skill is the ability to find and analyze economic data from a variety of government and other data sets from around the world, including the U.S. Census Bureau, the OECD, the United Nations and others. The position will be in Washington, DC, and will report to ITIF’s vice president of global innovation policy.
The ideal applicant will be a detail-oriented, intrinsically motivated self-starter who can develop innovative and original insights, analysis, and authorship while also thriving in a collaborative, team-oriented environment. He or she will be a quick study and highly productive researcher, writer, and thinker.
- Help conduct a policy research program focusing on state, national, and international policy related to innovation and economic growth.
- Locate, extract, manipulate, find patterns, and draw conclusions from public and private datasets.
- Compile and analyze data from national statistical economic databases.
- Write clear and incisive policy reports, op-ed articles, blog posts, and other materials on a broad variety of policy areas relating to innovation and economics.
- Ideal candidate has at least a bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, or related field.
- A strong background in Excel and an understanding of statistics and data analytics.
- Exceptional writing skills, especially an ability to write succinctly and persuasively for policy audiences.
- Keen interest in technology, innovation, and public policy.
- Knowledge of business economics and the federal economic statistics system would be a plus.
- Highly proactive and flexible, with an ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
To apply for this position, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate in the subject line of the email that your application is for the position of “economic policy analyst”:
- Cover letter stating your specific interest and qualifications for the position. Resumes submitted without a tailored cover letter will not be considered.
- A writing sample of at least five pages, preferably on a related topic.
The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), the world’s top think tank for science and technology policy, seeks a highly motivated, highly organized professional who is both logistically minded and technically savvy to plan and execute its regular program of events and meetings, which are critical to the organization’s mission as a thought leader on technology and innovation issues.
ITIF’s events include panel discussions, debates, roundtables, and conferences, on-site in our office in Washington, DC, off-site at locations such as Capitol Hill, and internationally (requiring remote logistical support, not foreign travel). The event coordinator helps plan and leads the marketing and production of these events from beginning to end. This requires efficient mastery of administrative logistics including scheduling, email and other Internet marketing, contact database management, room staging, registration, and A/V operation. In addition to coordinating an average of four events a month (and as many as six or eight in peak periods), this position also will collaborate with ITIF’s office manager to support the organization’s chief operating officer, director of development and outreach, and policy team on a range of other administrative tasks and projects as needed.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of professional experience in a fast-paced office environment, plus strong technical proficiency with A/V equipment, contact databases, and email marketing platforms. He or she will proactively manage multiple short-term and long-term deadlines simultaneously, taking ownership and responsibility for getting things done with an eye for professional quality and detail.
- Schedule, plan, and coordinate the logistics for ITIF’s regular program of public events in Washington, DC (both on-site and off-site) and in Brussels.
- Coordinate with ITIF analysts on event scheduling and speaker recruitment.
- Reserve event spaces and make all necessary arrangements for staging, room set-up, A/V, catering, and other needs.
- Market events through email, social media, day books, and other means.
- Prepare collateral materials such as agendas, handouts, and signage.
- Manage A/V needs before, during, and after events, including: setting up and operating a video camera, microphones, and live stream; managing computer-based presentations and remote panelists; troubleshooting audiovisual equipment and computers; and producing event videos and content for the web.
- Grow the audience for ITIF public events by finding new places to publicize them, tracking attendance, and adding new event registrants to ITIF’s mailing lists.
- Organize private breakfasts, happy hours, and other meetings.
- Continuously evaluate and improve the quality of ITIF events.
- At least three years’ experience working in a fast-paced office environment.
- Previous experience with event coordination, marketing, and production.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail with an ability to meet and anticipate deadlines, use time effectively, and thrive in periods of intense activity.
- Proficiency with audiovisual technology and basic video editing.
- Proficiency with office software such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Clear and concise communication skills, both written and oral.
- Mature, professional demeanor with ability to proactively “manage up.”
- Willingness to work irregular hours, on occasion, such as early mornings and weekends.
- Photography skills.
- An interest in technology and innovation policy preferred.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items to email@example.com, with “Event Marketing and Production Coordinator” in the subject line:
Cover letter, including initial impressions of ITIF’s public events and suggestions for how they might be improved.
Applications without these materials will not be considered.