The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) seeks a communications director to increase its exposure in the press, expand its social media footprint, and enhance its reputation as the world’s most influential science and technology think tank. This position reports to ITIF’s chief operating officer.
ITIF has earned its standing as the foremost thought leader on technology and innovation policy by nimbly producing high-caliber research reports, policy analysis, and commentary, and by staging a rich program of panel discussions and other events, which it hosts in its Washington, DC office and other locations. The communications director’s primary responsibility is to publicize all this activity. This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic media-relations and strategic-communications professional with previous experience in public policy to deepen their expertise while helping to influence debates on important technology-related issues.
- Plan and execute an ongoing communications program that enhances ITIF’s reputation as a thought leader among U.S. and international policymakers through proactive and reactive media outreach, digital media, events, and direct engagement.
- Partner with the COO, in coordination with ITIF’s president and team of policy analysts, to manage ITIF’s editorial calendar and workflow.
- Drive promotion of ITIF reports, place op-eds, and build press interest in major ITIF events.
- Measurably increase media coverage by continually curating ITIF’s press lists and expanding its network of shared relationships with reporters, commentators, and editors in the business, technology, and political press—including national newspapers, magazines, trade publications, influential blogs, and broadcast outlets.
- Draft ITIF’s widely disseminated weekly email newsletter.
- Expand the organization’s social media footprint, including on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Partner with ITIF’s event coordinator to promote and execute public events.
- Partner with ITIF’s design and digital media manager on collateral materials and website updates.
- Track media coverage and other communications performance metrics, and provide regular reports for staff and ITIF’s board.
- Minimum of three years’ experience with increasing levels of responsibility for planning and executing robust communications programs.
- Strong track record of achieving measurable results through media outreach, including placing op-eds and generating coverage for topical research reports and events.
- Hands-on experience with media-engagement software such as Cision, knowledge of technology issues, and existing relationships with technology, business, and economic policy reporters is preferred.
- Strong writing and editing ability are essential, including sharp press releases, blog posts, and op-eds.
- Thorough understanding of digital communications is a must, including the fundamentals of website content management.
- Practical experience and sound judgment using social media to raise the profile of an organization and engage in public issues.
- Strong understanding of public policy is essential. Previous experience on Capitol Hill or in the Washington office of a public relations or public affairs agency would be a plus.
- A personable and collaborative team player with exceptional organizational habits and a proven ability to handle multiple communications projects at once.
Salary and benefits: Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and includes a health benefits package, generous paid vacation, annual performance-based bonus, and public transportation benefit.
Application process: To apply for the position, please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in your subject line that you are applying for the “communications director” position, and please explain in your cover letter why you are interested in joining ITIF and how your experience and qualifications align with the goal of enhancing ITIF’s reputation through an ongoing strategic communications program.
# # #
The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) is an independent, nonpartisan research and educational institute focusing on the intersection of technological innovation and public policy. Recognized as the world’s leading science and technology think tank, ITIF’s mission is to formulate and promote policy solutions that accelerate innovation and boost productivity to spur growth, opportunity, and progress. For more see: itif.org/about.